Friday, January 14, 2011

Geography

Lesson VI

What is Geography?
A description of the earth's surface.
What is the Earth?
The planet or body on which we live.
What is the shape of the Earth?
Round like a ball.
Of what is the Earth's surface composed?
Land and water.

A Map of A World. Photo by Bruce Barone.
What is a map?
A picture of the whole, or part, of the Earth's surface.
What are the directions on a Map?
Toward the top, North; toward the bottom, South;
to the right East; to the left, West.
In what direction from the center of the picture is the Island?
North.

From "First Lessons in Geography,"
Monteith's Geographical Series,
A.S. Barnes & Co., 1884

Found in Geography III, Elizabeth Bishop

Do you collect maps or globes?
I would love to hear from you!

If you want distinctive nature, documentary or portrait photography--photography with soul that inspires you to live a more artful and beautiful life, please contact me.

5 comments:

  1. HI Bruce, love the lessons in Geography.. One of my favourite things in the world is studying understanding where all the countries and how the world works.. Great photo. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Bruce it is so fascinating. I don't collect maps or globes, however it would be very educational and a wonder!

    Come and join my Giveaway from Blydesign!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geography was great in fourth grade. Miss Fennell taught us what an isthmus is and how to put on mukluks. I love maps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not collect maps or globes, and learning more about geography is a definite need. I just bought my son a large map, and he already has a very cool globe. He excels in this regard, and I'd like to spend time with him throughout the coming year, learning from him (via the globe and map).

    At this point its a sad state... When either of them question me on the topic, I need to look it up, or reply, "Ask your dad."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like looking at antique maps. They take me farther.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete

An Anniversary

  Valentine's Day is around the corner and I like to share with you a love story. Fourteen years ago on February 9, Susan and I met at t...