Thursday, August 12, 2010

Be Astonished!

A few days ago I commented on a William Coupon photo (On his Facebook page) that it was a beautiful portrait of an elderly man and it reminded me of a painting by Odd Nerdrum. Another photographer commented on my comment saying he would be upset if his photographs were compared to paintings.

Here is a portrait of mine of Katharine A. Tillman, a friend who is a lover of language and of art:
 I don't really understand why a photographer would take offense at his photographs being compared to paintings. William did not; the other person did. Who cares! Photography is an art of seeing, of observation--and I meant it as a complement. In fact, I think it is my degree in Art History that has helped me as a photographer; that has helped me to see and observe and create.

For me, photography is a poetic experience, often finding something beautiful in the ordinary--and when I photograph people I believe I have a spiritual connection with them; as someone once wrote to me: "I guess there is a reason people pay to get portraits taken......stunning......it also takes a very special artist to make such a portrait. The connection and human understanding are vital. I expect that few people truly have such an opportunity--to see their souls in their own faces."

And as I wrote back in July:

Photography is my passion. The pursuit of wow. This is the way I try to live my life. Every where I turn and see I truly am astonished. I celebrate life and the spiritual ties that bind us together and I do this by trying to be always astonished. Simone Weil said: "Absolute attention is prayer."
When I photograph an icon, for example,  I both draw upon my degree in Art History and years working as a documentary photographer, and then in a profound sense I also forget the past , turn toward the icon in a prayerful manner and I become truly astonished.

Tielhard de Chardin wrote: "Seeing: We might say that the whole of life lies in that verb - if not ultimately, at least essentially."

I truly see myself as an artist, whether I'm photographing people, nature, or wedding. And, I believe, I work with my camera in the same manner a painter works with a brush or a pianist a piano--every day. And it is my training as an Art Historian that impacts my way of seeing and makes me a great photographer.


I leave you with a landscape, a country road.

Where are you going?

Who are you?


If you would like to fill your home with beautiful photographs, or need a portrait, or if you are an interior designer and need photographs of your projects, contact me for a consultation.

Drawing on that degreee in Art History, a passion for telling stories, and years working as a portrait and documnetary photographer (And owning an Art Gallery) helps me bring a heightened sensitivity to my photography. Let's make the world a more beautiful place!

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting what you are saying.
    My latest post speaks about commenting other people photos, and I had a similar case when I tried to give my angle on a photo, and my comment was deleted and the poster was offended by my suggestion.
    What can I say, apparently people expect to hear only praise about their works.

    ReplyDelete

An Anniversary

  Valentine's Day is around the corner and I like to share with you a love story. Fourteen years ago on February 9, Susan and I met at t...