We had an International Chat with people tweeting from the United States, Canada, England, Australia, Brazil, Israel, and Italy.
Here are some of the points I made (In 140 characters or less!) about "What's in Your Portfolio?"
- A picture IS worth 1,000 words
- A portfolio is your calling card
- A portfolio sells your vision & capabilities
- Be organized in your portfolio & presentation
- A portfolio is 1 of the most important things you can accomplish
- What market are you trying to reach
- A clear understanding of target market helps determine images & info
- Your graphic identity/branding must be clear & simple
- Dont forget contact info
- Different portfolios for different projects
- Ask yourself what images do I want to show
- Are there images I want to leave out
- What kind of response do I want
- Portfolios can be used to show results of designs;present work up to a time point
- Portfolios can be project oriented
- Portfolios can be time oriented
- Portfolios can be room oriented
- Also different portfolios for different target markets
- Top designers use KOLO presentation portfolios
- Consider: Designer Statement, title list, representative cover image
- Viewers get tired/bored seeing too many images
- Consider 12--25 images
- Before & After
- Close-ups, wide-angels, details
- Choose images that best show what you were trying to accmplish
- Get feedback from the photographer & other professionals
After 15 minutes discussing "What's In Your Portfolio," we moved on to "The Importance of Working with a Professional Photographer." I will save my thoughts on this for another post.
Here's an online portfolio of an Interior Designer's Garden.
Here's an online portfolio of a beautiful pond.
Here's an online portfolio called The Eyes Have It.
What's in your portfolio?
If you would like to fill your home with beautiful photographs, or need a portrait, a wedding photographed or if you are an interior designer and need photographs of your projects, contact me for a consultation.
Drawing on that degree in Art History, a passion for telling stories, and years working as a portrait and documentary photographer (And owning an Art Gallery) helps me bring a heightened sensitivity to my photography. Let's make the world a more beautiful place!