Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Splendour in the Grass

What a difference a day makes; yesterday here.

Today below:

Mittineague Park, October 26, 2010. Photo by Bruce Barone.
See Under: Field Work.

A few lines from a favorite poem:


What though the radiance which was once so bright
          Be now for ever taken from my sight,
              Though nothing can bring back the hour
          Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
              We will grieve not, rather find
              Strength in what remains behind;
              In the primal sympathy
              Which having been must ever be;
              In the soothing thoughts that spring
              Out of human suffering;
              In the faith that looks through death,
          In years that bring the philosophic mind.
~William Wordsworth.
 ODE--INTIMATIONS OF IMMORTALITY FROM RECOLLECTIONS OF EARLY CHILDHOOD
 
Have you read this poem? What do you think of it?
I would love to hear from you! 
If you want distinctive nature, documentary or portrait  
photography--photography with soul that inspires you to live a more  
artful and beautiful life, please contact me. Thank You!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I ask them to take a poem
    and hold it up to the light
    like a color slide

    or press an ear against its hive.

    I say drop a mouse into a poem
    and watch him probe his way out,

    or walk inside the poem's room
    and feel the walls for a light switch.

    I want them to waterski
    across the surface of a poem
    waving at the author's name on the shore.

    But all they want to do
    is tie the poem to a chair with rope
    and torture a confession out of it.

    They begin beating it with a hose
    to find out what it really means.

    Billy Collins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve.
    I love Billy Collins. My daughter gave me one of his books for a Christmas present a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this is the deep-thinking blogger's corner on a Tuesday afternoon! Bruce & Steve, love the poetry and of course the photos! Makes me want to leave the office right now and go for a New England stroll with a poetry book in hand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love Love this!! Bruce, we are seriously living some sort of parallel lives... my post today completely jives with yours! peace

    ReplyDelete

An Anniversary

  Valentine's Day is around the corner and I like to share with you a love story. Fourteen years ago on February 9, Susan and I met at t...